This video highlights the scientific work our interns do at The Field Museum, but there are internship opportunities in almost every department of the Museum. So the question is...
Where Can You Intern?
Each summer, The Field Museum hosts more than 150 internships representing almost every Museum department. In addition, there are numerous internships that take place during the academic year. The following areas often host interns:
- Collections and Research: Anthropology, Botany, Geology, Zoology, Molecular Lab and Library
- Environment, Culture, and Conservation
- Administration: Human Resources, Finance, Fundraising, Information Technology, Marketing, Public Relations, Group Sales and Web Development
- Exhibitions: Exhibit Development, Project Management, Graphic Design and 3D Design
- Education: Program Development and the Crown Family PlayLab
Who Can Intern?
Field Museum is searching for excellence and competition for internship opportunities is strong. Interns get extensive hands-on experience and an in-depth look at the inner workings of a world-class institution. A variety of internships are available:
- Internships are open to undergraduate and graduate-level college students of all majors
- Full-time and part-time paid and unpaid internships available
- High school internships are only available through established programs/partnerships with the Museum
- Students may be eligible for academic credit and/or special funding programs through their college/university – students should check with their career services center for more information
Why Intern at The Museum?
Depending on the area of specialization and current Museum funding, your internship may be paid or unpaid. Either way, you will discover the many reasons that make this a dynamic and rewarding experience:
- A chance to learn more about The Field Museum, and the professional opportunities it might hold for your future
- The opportunity to meet with other interns who share your fascination with history, science and culture
- Throughout the summer, we offer a full schedule of planned activities and events just for interns
- Free admission for you to The Field Museum and other Chicago museums
- Discounts at Museum restaurants and stores
- Invitations to staff events and exhibition previews
How do I Get Involved?
Students interested in pursuing any of The Field Museum's various internship opportunities are encouraged to visit the following pages to learn more about how to apply, where to find related opportunities, and who to contact if you are interested in a specific area of scientific research:
- Collections and Research Internship Opportunities
- Scholarship Committee Internship Opportunities
- Additional Internship Opportunities