DNA Residency for High School Students
The DNA Research Summer Residency provides Chicago and suburban high school students a paid opportunity to conduct genetic research alongside accomplished Field Museum scientists. Two high school students, an educator, and one Field Museum scientist will form a team that conducts basic research during a five-week internship program. All participants will be trained in molecular biology laboratory methods and equipment used in Field Museum’s Pritzker Lab/Rice DNA Discovery Center, gather data relevant to current research programs, and learn about all aspects of the scientific method—from sample gathering through data analysis and interpretation. The DNA Discovery Center also has a facebook page, and information for programs can be found there, under the Discussions section (click here).
Students will be responsible for creating a digital media project based on their learning experiences during the residency.
- Must be Chicago or suburban high school sophomore or junior.
- Must be at least 16 years of age upon date of acceptance-no exceptions.
- Must submit an essay (300-500 words) describing why they would like to take part in this program and which science classes they have taken.
- Must have a strong interest in incorporating scientific research and/or genetics into their school programming or study.
- Must provide a letter of recommendation from a science teacher.
- Must commit to weekdays, June 23-August 1, 2014 8:30 am-3:30 pm program times and dates (excluding July 4).
Participants will receive a stipend, a CTA pass or parking vouchers, and a one-year family membership to the Field Museum.
The application process begins Friday, January 31.
Application deadline: March 22, 2014. Interviews: April 10-16. Decisions: April 25.
Due to a technical glitch with the online application system, the deadline for teacher references is extended to Friday, April 4th.If you submitted an application before the March 22 deadline, please check with your teacher to make sure they submitted a letter of recommendation. If not, they may send it directly to DNAprograms@fieldmuseum no later than Friday, April 4, 2014.
Email DNAprograms@fieldmuseum.org for more information. No phone calls please.
High School Students
Summer 2014, June 23-August 1, 8:30 am-3:30 pm weekdays