Interns at The Field Museum get extensive hands-on experience and an in-depth look at the inner workings of a world-class institution. Students interested in pursuing any of the various internship opportunities are encouraged to visit the following pages to learn more about how to apply, where to find related opportunities, and who to contact if you are interested in a specific area of the museum:
- Science Internship Opportunities
- Scholarship Committee Internship Opportunities
- Additional Internship and Career Opportunities
Where Can You Intern?
Each summer, The Field Museum hosts more than 200 internships representing almost every Museum department. In addition, there are numerous internships that take place during the academic year. The following areas often host interns:
- Science & Education, Collection Center, and Integrative Research Center
- Science Action Center, Conservation
- Administration: Human Resources, Finance, Fundraising, Information Technology, Communications, and Public Relations
- Exhibitions: Exhibit Development, Project Management, Graphic Design and 3D Design
- Education: Program Development and the Crown Family PlayLab
Who Can Intern?
- Internships are open to undergraduate and graduate-level college students of all majors as well as recent graduates
- Full-time and part-time paid and unpaid internships are available
- High school internships are only available through established programs/partnerships with the Museum
- Students may be eligible for academic credit and/or special funded programs through their college or university – students should check with their career services center for more information
Why Intern at The Museum?
Depending on the area of specialization and current Museum funding, your internship may be paid or unpaid. Either way, you will discover the many reasons that make your internship a dynamic and rewarding experience:
- A chance to learn more about The Field Museum
- The opportunity to meet with other interns who share your fascination with history, science, and culture
- Throughout the summer, we offer a full schedule of planned activities and events just for interns
- Free admission to The Field Museum and other Chicago area museums and cultural institutions
- Discounts at Museum restaurants and stores
- Invitations to staff events and exhibition previews